Saturday, March 12, 2011

Disability in Fairy Tales

1. Reflection: The researched paper in this class is a different kind of writing experience because you get to write in the 'I' voice and do not have to write in the boring, impersonal, and detached style normally associated with research papers. Your opinions, thoughts, and reactions (plus life experiences!) can be intermingled with the information you find so it is much more fun than you'd expect from writing this type of paper. (Yes, I said "fun".)

Select a topic that really interests you and is something you want to learn more about. Use the library databases. Start your writing process as soon as possible so you're not writing two papers at the same time since the other assignments will continue. Also, carefully read the directions for the paper. (I didn't and missed the part about the paper being in four parts. I had to somewhat redo my paper once my error became apparent at a peer review.) Professor Hicks is quite thorough in explaining what is required so you know what is expected and there are no surprises.

2. Research: My research topic was how disability is portrayed in fairy tales. There wasn't too much relating both topics but I did find more about disability and folk tales. (Having the right search terms that yield the best results is part of the process and it can be difficult.) Also, consider which discipline would study your topic and then look through their databases.

Initially I used Project Muse. I considered my topic and searched through the databases of language and literature since I thought fairy tales would be a part of literature. JSTOR worked well and I did find both books and journals. (I also gained a new appreciation for abstracts. They're concise and informative!) One of the most helpful books for me was Kathy Saunders' Happy Ever Afters because it was printed in 2000 and had newer information and terms which I found helpful. Another book I recommend is John Quicke's Disability in Modern Children's Fiction. It was a bit older (1985) but still covered points not made in Saunders book.

Definitely the best journal article on my topic is "Fairies and the Folklore of Disability; Changelings, Hybrids and the Solitary Fairy" by Susan Schoon Eberly, published in Folklore journal. I found that by looking under language and literature once I realized folklore would provide more leads for my topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment