Monday, March 7, 2011

Research topic: Mulan

Jennifer Cheng
Yang Sun
Cheng-Lung Kuo
Collaborative Research Paper
It is very important to choose the topic that interested you the most, which would keep you going much smoother. I chose "Mulan", because I studied about her story when I was in high school. Moreover, I wanted to know if she is a feminist or not.
When finding sources, I first tried to search words like "Mulan and Feminist" online, but I couldn't not find any related information that seemed helpful. Then, I went to CSULA's library database, such as "J Stor", "Project Muse". And I found about three journal articles that gave me a lots of ideas about Mulan and her contributions to feudal China.
There are several questions we wanted to know. Does Mulan promote feminism? How is she influencing Chinese women? We also wanted to know the relationship between her story and chinese cultrue. We found some useful sources in our library's database. To begin the search, simply go to our library's website, and click on "article", then choose databases. We found two of them especially helpful: "Project Muse" and "Jstor". Below are the results that related to our topic, and really helped us to do our paper:
Altenburger, R (2005). Is It Clothes that Make the Mulan? Cross-Dressing, Gender, and Sex in Pre-Twentieth-Century Zhu Yingtai Lore. (Vol.64 no.2). Asian Folkore Studies. 165-205
Lan, F (2003). The Female Individual and Empire: A Historicist Approach to Mulan and Kingston's Woman Warrior. Comparative literature, 229-245.
Mann, Susan. (2000). Presidential Address: Myths of Asian Womanhood. the Journal of Asian studies, 835-862

No comments:

Post a Comment