Monday, June 10, 2013

Body Image of Superheroes

Hey guys! So I just want to start off by saying DO NOT PROCRASTINATE! Seriously.. this research paper got me real good. I mean I finished my paper on time, I made sure all the components were clear and correct, and I made sure all the sources I found were accurate and reliable; but the time to do all that was just insane. I actually started my research paper early in the quarter and decided to put it off to the side and save it for later... but.. oh my goodness.. why did I save it for later. Working two jobs, taking three classes, and commuting back and forth through crazy traffic didn't make my research paper any easier. As you can see from other people's posts, you should definitely start early. No matter how dreadful it is, just start early and get it over with because you won't even have to worry about it once finals week comes out of the blue. Also, go to to the library and check out books! Books are actually very useful for this research paper...plus it is required for the assignment so you don't really have a choice.. :) I personally did not want to check out a book from the CSULA library because I didn't even know HOW to check out a book. I asked this random worker how to check out a book and I felt so stupid. But at the end, books are needed and are useful so go get some books!
My research topic question was why superhero body images are important to our society. Superheroes are characters that people look up to because of their strength and power. Especially towards the younger children, people envy those characteristics and we also envy the image they portray. The physique of these superheroes play a big part of their character and usually most superhero characters have similar physical features aside from the costumes. It made me wonder why animators draw superheroes in the specific way and why we like the view of superheroes like this. Finding the right sources for this topic was quite a challenge but I was able to obtain great,helpful sources. Here are some sources I used for my research topic:


“Body Image”. Media Smarts. Web. Retrieved 6 June 2013. http://mediasmarts.ca/body-image
Brown, Lyn Mikel., Lamb, Sharon., Tappan, Mark. (2009). “Packaging Boyhood”. St. Martin’s
     Press.
(17-18). New York. Print.
Cotter, Alison. (2002). “Anorexia and Bulimia”. Lucent Books, INC. San Diego. (48-50). Print.
Konkel, Lindsey. “Superheroes Help Their Fans’ Self- Image”. Live Science. 19 September.
     2012. Web. Retrieved 6 June 2013. http://www.livescience.com/23303-men-self-esteem-
     body-image-batman-superheroes.html
  Lowe, Tashala M. "Making Superheroes." New Moon 4.3 (1997): 26. MAS Ultra – School
     Edition
. Web. 6 June 2013.
“Miss Representation Full Documentary”. YouTube. 12 March 2013. Online video clip. Web.
     Retrieved 5 June 2013 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTfYWf0xN6I


 

No comments:

Post a Comment