Monday, March 19, 2012

Disney and Racism


The topic I chose to do for my researched paper was Disney and Racism. I also decided to tie this topic with the effects it had on its main audience or children. So therefore my question was:

"In what ways do Disney movies show racism and how does it affect children?"

Some advice that is already been said is starting early and begining to find sources and gathering information soon. Although it may seen that there is lots of time left to complete the paper, there is much to be done and time goes by fast. The paper may also seem overwhelming and large but it isnt so bad once you have all your information and begin typing it all out. Just take it "bird by bird", "piece by piece". Also, choose a topic that you will enjoy and one that has enough information to complete. That way there will be enough sources to use, enough to fill your paper, to keep you interested, and to find out what you want to know.   

In searching for information, start as soon as possible because sometimes, orders may need to be made since some sources may not be available. Also, not every source or available source can be found in the database. I had a problem with finding sources in the database because a lot of it was unavailable or needed to be ordered. Instead,  I used google to find more sources, though digging around is needed to find what you can use. I googled "Disney" and "racism" and I got results and found a lot of information, but not appropriate enough to use on an academic paper. I googled "Disney and "racism" and "effects" or "scholar" and I did find some good results. I used websites with .edu or .org and checked them out to see where they were from and whether I could use them on my paper or not. Searching in the library or finding books to check out can also help. I found articles that cited books that were based on my topic and I could have used as sources had I checked them out beforehand.

Cited Sources:


 1) Hurley, Dorothy L. "Seeing White: Children of Color and the Disney Fairy Tale Princess The Journal of Negro Education" (1932-2008): 223-228 JSTOR web
2) Faherty, Vincent E. "Is the Mouse Sensitive? A Study of Race, Gender, and Social Vulnerability in Disney Animated Films" Smile: Studies in Media and Information Literacy Education (2001) MLA International Bibliography web  
3) Giroux, Henry "Breaking in to the Movies: Film and the Culture of Politics" Malden, MA: Blackwell Publishers, Inc. (2002): 121


google: "disney" "racism" "scholar" or "effects"
1) Rabison, Rebecca "Devience in Disney Representation of crime in Disney Films: A Qualitative Analysis" Wesleyan University (2008): 71-79
2) Wingfield, Marvin, Karaman, Bushra "Arab stereotypes and American Educators" American Arab-Anti Discrimination Committee Web. March 1995


This film could be viewed on youtube:
 The Mickey Mouse Monopoly Documentary (2001)









No comments:

Post a Comment