Sunday, March 18, 2012

Vampires

As I'm sure everyone is going to say: start your research early! If you manage to do so, this research project definitely becomes a lot easier and interesting, instead of feeling like a chore. Also, do the paper on a topic that you are interested in, not just a topic that seems easy or popular. By picking something that appeals to you personally, you will definitely have a lot more fun, as I did, reading through the many articles necessary to write a decent research paper. When doing research, whether online or in the actual library, look at the bibliographies of whatever books and articles you are using; they tend to lead you to another good source you can use which in turn will lead you to others. Lastly, don't be afraid to use books and movie from popular culture because this research paper is what you want to make it and what is better research about Myth America than the stories and films that exist as today's myths?

I did my research paper on a topic that has been interesting to me since childhood but that I had never taken the time to find more about, vampires. In doing my research, it was helpful to use movies and books of recent popular culture such as The Twilight Saga or The Underworld series as a starting point and compare them to my own recollections of vampires. To refresh my memory, I also browsed through Bram Stoker's Dracula to see if there were any differences in the presentation of vampires. In the JSTOR and Humanities databases on the library's website, I found a couple articles that were extremely important in developing my research paper around; one of these was "Vampires, Anxieties, and Dreams: Race and Sex in the Contemporary United States" by Shannon Winnubst. The other article I am going to let you all find because I want you to share in the joy I felt when I stumbled across it and realized that there was so much quality information from which to develop my research. It isn't hard to find, just follow the librarian's instructions on how to do research on these databases. From there, it should be relatively to find more articles relating to the subjects of vampires and their evolution if you look in bibliographies when you read over a point that seems interesting and relevant to you to find the author's sources.

Other than that, good luck on your papers!

No comments:

Post a Comment