Monday, March 19, 2012

Stepfamilies in Fairytales

If you are reading this post, then it means that you have been assigned a researched paper from Professor Jennifer Hicks. Congratulations, you have made it this far. This post consists of step families in fairy tales- mostly Cinderella. The reason why I did this topic is because I can connect it to my own life since my parents are divorced and my father remarried. Overall I enjoyed doing the research because I was able to learn so much than my experience and I hope that you do to.
If I had one form of advice to give to future students in her class is  "Do not under any circumstances procrastinate this paper." I learned this from experience. A good thing is that the Professor will help you out in research and the assignments she will have to give out will pertain to the researched paper. But remember to do them in parts because that is probably the only way you will complete this without having to stress out immensely the night before.
Now as for the research itself there are a lot of sources on step-families. However, it is now your job to tie it into Fairy Tales and our theme of Myth America. Good luck to all of you.
Some sources that I used are:
Writing and Reading Across the Curriculum 11th ed.- In Chapter twelve, it does mention about Cinderella's stepmother and leads you to other documents. Use them if they pertain to your research question.
Families and Law- This book can be found in the CSULA library. This book is its name sake and it has sections on Step-family laws both around modern times and during the nineteenth century, which was when the fairytale were being written by the Grimm Brothers.
Are Stepsiblings Bad, Stepmothers Wicked, and Stepfathers Evil? An Assessment of Australian Stepfamily Stereotypes-It's found in the library online database. This is basically a case study of children affected by step-families.
Reconstructing the Step-family: Old Myths, New Stories-This is found in the database as well. This source has in explicit details what the myth of step-families are. This is helpful to pinpoint specific flaws with the myths instead of going with what is widely known because it varies.

No comments:

Post a Comment