Monday, March 17, 2014

BEAUTY IN FAIRY TALES AND ITS INFLUENCE ON WOMEN

BEAUTY IN FAIRY TALES AND ITS INFLUENCE ON WOMEN
 Quan Nguyen

Doing research paper is always not my favorite exercise since to me, it takes a lot of efforts reading the articles, the book carefully to find out the strong connection between those sources and my position for the paper. For me, just skimming at the articles does not work at all. My advice for you is choosing the topic that you are interested in since it will be easier for you to read the sources related to your favorite topic. Besides, you should keep talk to the professor about every main step you are doing with your research paper to make sure that you are on the right track. Do not wait until you finish your paper and come to our professor's office and find out that your topic is too broad ; therefore, your paper is not coherent or that the evidences you use do not effectively support your paper. Moreover, as always, try your best, I know it is hard, to be on time with your own schedule. If you can not do that, you can use my own tip: make appointment with the professor after you have already decided your research question and of course, you have to have something to talk to her. For me, I wanted to at least finish finding sources and place them in my paragraph with my own points before coming to her office, so she could pointed out big mistake that I definitely had to fix for my paper. That really worked for me. Furthermore, when I first started this research question, I had no idea of the term "Beauty myth", so I did not consider the topic Beauty Myth and its influence on women. If you want to write about something related to my topic, you can think of this option.  

My research question is how does beauty in fairy tales influence female audience? Most of my sources are journal articles with peer review that I took from CSULA website. You can find them by typing “Fairy Tale* and Beauty” or “Fairy Tale* and Feminine”. Besides, one of the most useful sources for my paper is the book "The Beauty Myth" that I borrowed from professor Hicks.

These are some sources that I used for my paper:

Grauerholz, Liz, and Lori Baker-Sperry. "The Pervasiveness and Persistence of the Feminine Beauty Ideal in Children's Fairy Tales." Gender & Society, 17.5 (2003): 711-726.
Creedon, Jill. "Women's Studies." Surgical Cosmetic Enhancement: The Snow White Dilemma. N.p., n.d. Web. 16 Mar. 2014.< http://ws.appstate.edu/>
Flippin, Candise. "'Mirror, Mirror ...'. Fact or Fiction." Plastic Surgical Nursing : Official Journal of the American Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgical Nurses, 28.3 (2008): 111.
"Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937 Film)." - Wikiquote. N.p., n.d. Web. 16 Mar. 2014. <http://en.wikiquote.org/>
Yecheng. "Globalizing Women’s Beauty." Globalization Seminar Davidson. N.p., n.d. Web. 16 Mar. 2014.  <http://sites.davidson.edu/>
Forbes, Gordon, Linda Collinsworth, Rebecca Jobe, Kristen Braun, and Leslie Wise. "Sexism, Hostility Toward Women, and Endorsement of Beauty Ideals and Practices: Are Beauty Ideals Associated with Oppressive Beliefs?." Sex Roles, 56.5 (2007): 265-273.
Zipes, Jack. "The Dark Side of Beauty and the Beast: The Origins of the Literary Fairy Tale for Children." Children's Literature Association Quarterly, 1981.1 (1981): 119-125.
Wolf, Naomi. The Beauty Myth: How Images of Beauty Are Used against Women. New York: W. Morrow, 1991. Print.
Greenhill, Pauline, and Sidney Eve. Matrix. Fairy Tale Films: Visions of Ambiguity. Logan, UT: Utah State UP, 2010. Print.





No comments:

Post a Comment