Thursday, March 20, 2014

Mermaids: The Fall of Man, A Symbol

1) While I had great ideas for this paper, I realized I had some troubles always connecting what I analyzed back to the "so-what". Particularly so on my The Little Mermaid analysis. So I recommend to all future researched paper writers to visit Professor Jenny's Office Hours more frequently. In other words, make sure you plan out your thoughts earlier so you don't struggle last minute with too many ideas (don't be me).
2) I fear that this was as "researched" as it was supposed to be because although I found many sources, I ended up using only 4 for this research question. That scared me but I was also scared of changing my research question again and having to find more sources. The fact that it took me so long to choose a good research question was what threw my entire paper off. I definitely feel as if I needed more research or more time, but unfortunately all my time got spent researching many different questions until I finally settled on one I wanted.
3) So, ultimately, make sure you have a good research question from the beginning, and stay on top of it in case you notice you're still having troubles with the question. (Office hours are your friends)


Adams, Amanda. A Mermaid's Tale. Vancouver: Greystone, 2006. Print.

"Genesis 3 (King James Version)." Blue Letter Bible. Sowing Circle. Web. 20 Mar, 2014. 

McSherry, Lisa. "Octava; Swimming in Deep Waters: Mermaids as Symbols of      Transformation." The        Beltane Papers Spring 2005: 22. ProQuest. Web. 19 Mar. 2014 

Mermaid. 2000. Medieval Folklore: A Guide to Myths, Legends, Tales, Beliefs, and Customs. Ed.         Carl Lindahl, John McNamara, and John Lindow. New York: Oxford UP, 2002. 270-71. Print.

"The Little Mermaid by Hans Christian Andersen (1836)." HCA.Gilead. Zvi Har’ El, 13 Dec.                   2007. Web. 18 Mar. 2014.

Waugh, Arthur. "The Folklore of the Merfolk." Taylor & Francis, Ltd. on behalf of Folklore          Enterprises, Ltd. June 1960: 11 JStor. Web. 19 Mar. 2014        

No comments:

Post a Comment