Thursday, March 20, 2014

Pirates!

Ahoy, mateys! Thar be some things ye should know about this here researched paper!

Pirate dialogue aside, my advice to you would be to start researching your topic using broad terms, just to get you started. My mistake was trying to dive right in to answering my research question by using keywords related to it such as "pirates in popular culture" when I should have started off with just searching "pirates." I would also advise to ask for help as soon as you come across a problem. I thought that I could figure it out the problem by myself, but ended up getting stuck and putting off the research paper until the last week, when I finally asked for help. Do not make yourself rush a researched paper. It is not fun.

Another important thing to note is that you don't have to exactly answer the research question you made up. That is to say, it's okay if you can't find a direct answer to your topic question. It's the process that matters the most!

If I could do this paper again knowing what I know now, I would definitely have done all of the above. It is very stressful to try and finish a researched paper while studying for other finals. Like, very stressful.

As for my actual research questions, I decided to write about why we are so interested in pirates (such as in Pirates of the Caribbean) even though we know real pirates are really bad (like in Captain Phillips). I also decided to describe some notable differences between the "swashbuckling" pirates and real pirates.


Here are some sources that I found useful:

Selinger, Gail, and W. Thomas. Smith. Complete Idiot's Guide to Pirates. Indianapolis, IN: Alpha, 2006. Print.

Graeber, David. The Democracy Project: A History, a Crisis, a Movement. New York: Spiegel & Grau, 2013. Print.

Wilbur, Marguerite Eyer. Immortal Pirate: The Life of Sir Francis Drake. New York: Hastings House, 1951. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment