Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Mythical Swords

1. This research paper probably has taught me more than any of my previous research projects. I have always thought the research projects involved finding a bunch of sources and compiling all of their information into one paper. However, with this project I was challenged to go beyond that and really make connections that go beyond the facts. It was a really satisfying experience in the end. I will admit though in the beginning I felt like I was really struggling to find sources because none of them were directly answering my questions, but making the connections on my own was the best part of this paper. So future students, if you are struggling with finding sources, ask for help. Professor Jenny gave all of us immense support in finding sources as did the people who work at the reference desk in the library. Seek their help and you will have an easier time.

2. My topic was investigating the influences of mythical swords in past cultures in England as well as our culture now. I searched far and wide for my sources but my advice would be to get practice using the library database for your searches.The search engine can be pretty picky when it comes to word choice so don't give up if your first search comes up with nothing, use a synonym. Of the following sources the best one to look at is the "The king of swords", it was the best article ever.

Albert, Edoardo, and Paul Gething. "The King of Swords." History Today 60.2 (2010): 5-6. ProQuest. Web. 18 Mar. 2014. Web.

Davidson, H. R. Ellis. The Sword in Anglo-Saxon England: Its Archaeology and Literature. Oxford: Clarendon, 1962. Print.

Lapidge, Michael. The Blackwell Encyclopedia of Anglo-Saxon England. Oxford: Blackwell, 1999. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment