Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Disney's Impact on Children


Dear English 102 students,
As everyone else, I advise to start your research early, but don't stop there! Printing out a few articles and checking out books from the library can be considered researching but in reality, you need to make sure the articles and books actually relate to your topic. I would also suggest to team up with other people in the class that have similar topics to your own. I wrote the researched paper on my own and I am certain that I would have started earlier if I had been part of a team. Before you start writing your essay, make sure that there is plenty of information on the topic you chose and above all, be INTERESTED in your topic. It will help you be motivated throughout the research process. I actually had to revise my topic because it was too broad, but I wish I had changed my research question sooner because it made the research process easier. I would have preferred to visit Professor Jenny for more advice on my essay and I advise all students to do this, especially for the researched paper.

My research question was originally going to focus on the psychological effects of Disney on young girls, but I changed it to " Is Disney's impact on children positive or negative?" I wanted to research the influence that Disney has on children's identity formation, girls and boys. I also wanted to see if the impact was negative or positive.  I found the following sources useful for finding information on my topic. All three of these sources can be found in the CSULA library.

Stone, Kay F. "The Misuse Of Enchantment: Controversies on the Significance of Fairy Tales." Women's Folklore, Women's Culture. Ed. Rosan A. Jordan. Vol. 8. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania, 1985. 125-45. Print. Publication of the American Folklore Society.

Orenstein, Peggy. Cinderella Ate My Daughter: Dispatches From the Front Lines of the New Girlie-Girl Culture. New York, NY: HarperCollins, 2011. Print.

Mickey Mouse Monopoly. Prod. Chyng Feng Sun. Dir. Miguel Pickler. Media Education Foundation, 2002. DVD.

Celeste Gamez

No comments:

Post a Comment